Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Purge

Last night we went to watch a movie after work. Thought it would be a good way to unwind after 10.5 hours of staring at our LCD screens, punching keys for CAD commands, calling suppliers/ contractors for follow-ups, doing tons of paperwork. And take note, it's only the first day of the week, and yet we felt the need to unwind! Sheesh!






Five of us (officemates) went to the cinema at the main mall of SM Mall of Asia at around 8 p.m. Our original plan was to watch Percy Jackson 2 Sea of Monsters, but we found out that it isn't being shown yet. We decided to watch The Purge instead, even though I insisted on watching the feel-good movie of Kim Chiu.

We got in around 8:35, five minutes after the show has started. There weren't too many people inside, about just a handful. Admittedly, I am easily startled (too much caffeine, perhaps?) and quite frankly, I am not crazy for horror movies in general. Unless I watch one with someone, that's the time that I'd watch one.

So the movie was set in a futuristic America, where the US government mandated an Annual Purge- 12 hours where all forms of crime is legal. Murder, theft, rape... Police and other emergency responses are disabled. They do this in order to free themselves of aggression, for them to be a "better nation."

I found the movie a tad disturbing. I didn't even savour my "sponsored" hotdog sandwich because of the gory scenes. Yet it got me thinking... What if there's an Annual Purge in this office? Who will be the first one to go? Who will be the ones left?





No comments:

Post a Comment