Monday, October 6, 2014

A First-timer's Guide: How to Cook Tiyula Itum (Black Stew)



I have always wanted to learn how to prepare my favorite dishes, and I especially love Muslim Cuisine. Last Saturday was Eid'l al-Adha (Feast of the Sacrifice,) my brother-in-law's brother brought some (raw) beef that came from a local Turkish school whose tradition was to put down a number of calves for the occasion and give the meat away.

An idea popped into my head!

I researched for the recipe, and found one on YouTube. The thing is, the guy in the video spoke fluent Tausug, though I understood most of what he said, there were some words I just could not get.

Nevertheless, my first attempt at cooking one of my favorite dishes, TIYULA ITUM, was a success!
(at least my family said so. =) )


Here's how I did it:

1. First you need the following:

a. Beef (/or chicken? I have yet to try)                                  g. Chili Peppers
b. Onion                                                                                 h. Tomato
c. Garlic                                                                                 i.  Cooking Oil
d. Ginger                                                                                j. Salt
e. Lemon Grass                                                                      k. Black Pepper
f. Pamapa (burned coconut, powderized)                              l. MSG (optional)


(I don't usually measure my ingredients when cooking, just eye-balling them works fine. You may refer to the photos to have an idea how much to use for each.)
Beef cuts marinated in pamapa and other ingredients
To make marinade, pound some ginger, garlic, onion and "massage" them evenly unto the meat. Add pamapa (black powder). Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.



Clockwise: Onions, pamapa (pounded burned coconut,) tanglad (lemon grass,) chili pepper, ginger, tomato, beef cube, garlic.

2. The procedure:

a. Saute onion, garlic, ginger, tomato. Add beef cube.
b. Add marinated beef. Mix thoroughly. Cover pan for a few minutes.
c. Add lemon grass, chilli peper and pamapa. Let juice of meat come out.
d. Add water just enough to cover meat. Bring to a boil (to soften meat).
e. Add water consequently, then bring to a boil each time. (For me, I added water twice)
f. Important: Add only salt at the last "batch" of water to taste. Optional: add more chili pepper, MSG, black pepper. Depends on your taste buds.
g. Bring to a complete boil. Simmer around 3-5 minutes.
h. Ready for serving.




Total preparation time is about 3 hours (including marinating, chopping and stuff.)


A friendly reminder though, go easy on it, especially when eaten during supper, we all know what coconut can do to our tummies. =)


Lastly, remember to serve it piping hot! Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment