Wednesday, March 12, 2014

My 1/4 IELTS Experience

Clammy hands. Sweating profusely. Stammering. Stuttering...

It was the first time in a long time when I felt that way. The last was during my Architecture Board Exam, which was three years ago. I felt a mixture of excitement and nervousness, but this time it was different. Maybe because I only prepared for a month or even less? Having attended only the major subjects in my review class (I enrolled for the unlimited review course at 9.0 Niner Ielts Review Center Taft Branch.) I don't want to be so negative about it, but for the first time in my life - having taken thousands of exams, this was the most nervous I got. Not even the Civil Service Professional Exam or the board exam made my nerves go haywire. Perhaps, I was not rested enough, just came from a 2-day trip from our Amazing Race, Visayas Edition (will blog about it soon)? I really just don't know.



I woke up at around 5 o'clock. Mommie, a.k.a. my trusty alarm clock, called me an hour earlier than the time I set my alarm to start. I went back to sleep for an hour, trying to make the most of the sleep I was deprived of during the weekend. 6 o'clock... I had to drag myself off the bed to go to the bathroom and prepare.

I arrived at the venue at around 8 o'clock. Good thing there's this app called Waze that I got to the venue without my taxi going around in circles (Pasay-Pasig, about P200.) British Council was on the 10th floor of Taipan Place in Ortigas, Pasig. At first glance, I thought the people who worked there were a bit snobbish, intimidating even. But I guess that's just how they were supposed to look like.

There were about 4 of us who will be taking the Speaking Test that day. At a quarter before 9, we were asked to go down to the 4th floor for the test proper. I was the first one who got my picture and finger print taken for identification. Not knowing what to expect and trying to get a hold of my nervousness, I visited the loo twice before my name was finally called for the interview.

Her name was Cindy La Rosa, as indicated in the bond paper posted on the door. She seemed nice and accommodating. I was a bit relieved that my examiner was British, and a woman at that. I was worried that I would not understand the heavy British Accent, like the male voice in the recordings I have been listening to, but thank God, her accent was not that strong.

Here are some of the questions that I remember she asked:
- Where do you live now?
- Do you like cooking? Why?
- Do you think children should learn cooking at a young age? Why?
- Do you think people in your country has efficient time management skills?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a routine?
- Do you think it is important to be flexible? Why?
- Which do you think is better at time management, younger or older people?
- Do you think technology is an advantage in time management?

For my 2-minute speech, my topic was "Busiest moment in my life."

For the last part, my answer was during my thesis in my 5th year in college (don't get me started...)

Before I knew it, my Speaking Test was over. Ms. La Rosa thanked me and wished me luck for my written test on Saturday (March 15.)

I went out of the exam room at exactly 9:07. I just can not remember how many minutes I was in there. Maybe 10-15 minutes tops.

I rode a taxi back to my apartment in Pasay so I can go to the office before lunch time.

Honestly, I know I could have done better. The nerves just got the better of me. Yet I think I answered most of the questions right because the examiner kept giving me acknowledging nods (at least I hope those are positive), I could have just minimized my "aaahhh" and long pauses. :(

I hope and pray, though, that my grade will still be sufficient for me to qualify for the scholarship I'm applying for. =\

This is harder than I thought.

2 comments:

  1. How was your day examiner cindy la tosa rate you? Is she generous in giving high score? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was also my examiner. Was she generous in grading you?

    ReplyDelete