Thursday, November 20, 2014

How to Prepare for the IELTS Exam in Less Than a Month

Source



Before taking the actual exam- both oral and written, I did not know about IELTS, let alone know what it was for. Although I remember some of my high school friends (who are nurses) talked about it in passing, I just did not mind it at that time.

I took the IELTS Exam (Academic) early this year. The deadline for the scholarship I was applying for was April 30, meaning I had to take the exam with less than a month's preparation, since I needed to allot two weeks for the results to come out, and prepare the other requirements as well.

I thought I was doomed! So I devised a game plan, and thank goodness, it worked!




Here's a list of things I did to prepare myself for the big day(s) and some useful tips:


1. Enroll in a Review Center

Like I said, I did not know what IELTS was prior to my taking it. Luckily, my housemate's brother (a nurse too) needed to take the test and enrolled in a review center that was just a jeep ride away from our apartment. So I inquired about it and also enrolled at 9.0 Niner IELTS Review Center along EDSA Taft. I had to say, the place was not too impressive at first. The classes were held in a small room on the 3rd floor, crammed with 40-50 seats, jam packed with sweaty people so eager to take the next plane abroad. Of course, those people had different reasons for taking IELTS- some to study abroad, for migration, requirement for work, etc. But when the instructor opened his mouth to talk, I was impressed, and I knew that I was going to get my money's worth.

That's just the thing, enrolling in a review institution can be quite costly (around Php 5,000, including manuals, and other reading materials) so be sure to research and ask around. As for me, I chose Niner for its accessibility and flexible schedules.


2. Research Materials Online

Since I was still working at that time, I used my office's fast internet connection (during noon breaks, of course =P) to research review materials available. Research, research, research. There are many available resources online, just make sure to give time to browse each article after downloading it (otherwise, it will just be a waste of storage space in your hard drive.)


3. Watch Harry Potter Without Subtitles

Okay, I did not actually do this, but the point is, immerse yourself in as much British Accent as you can. Watch YouTube videos about it, again, there are many available materials online. As for me, I downloaded those videos on my smartphone, and instead of listening to my usual music playlist while working, I listened to these recordings.


4. Download Sample Tests

Especially for the Listening part, familiarize yourself with the format of the actual exam. Usually, the listening part is a conversation between two people and you have to give your 100% concentration since the recording will only be played once. Practice to jot down notes (esp. addresses, phone numbers) fast, but make sure to write legibly.


5. Know Your Kryptonite

As you might know by now, there are (4) parts in the exam: speaking, listening, reading, and writing. You should know which one is the most challenging for you, then devote more time practicing for that. For some, speaking English is the easiest, while others have a natural knack at writing. Either way, practice is still the key.

About two weeks before my speaking test, I asked my friends in the office to talk to me in English exclusively so that I can practice it. For writing, blogging actually helped me since it helped me compose my thoughts easily. I had to read up more on how to read a graph though, since I had no idea on how to go about it, good thing they taught that in the review center.


6. Prioritize: Take the Major Topics First

The review center I enrolled in had a pretty much flexible schedule. You can attend specific topics at specified dates and venues, as they have several branches around Metro Manila. Since I had to work then, I only took classes on weekends. It started at 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tiresome, yes, but one should make sacrifices to attain one's goals. Only when my scheduled exam was coming up that I had to take a leave once to attend a class on a Wednesday.


7. Think Positive and Be Confident

Think of it this way, you have taken thousands of exams in the past. Perhaps already passed the board exams (which are way more grueling, by the way,) so there is no reason for you not to pass this. And besides, there is no failing mark in the IELTS, only depends on what score you actually need for your requirement.


8. Aim to Take the Exam Once

Since not many of us are born with silver spoons in our mouths, thinking of the cost to retake the exam is quite daunting. Php 9,000 (about 200 USD) is not quite easy to get your hands into. So condition yourself to ace the exam at your first try. Although, sometimes lady luck is just not on our side, so better start saving up in case you need to retake the exam.




Thankfully, I passed the test with flying colors and got the grades way more than what was required- despite my short preparation time plus a very demanding and stressful job.


So try to relax... Enjoy the moment.... and best of luck!




No comments:

Post a Comment