Wednesday, October 23, 2013

To Fold or Not to Fold?



I started playing poker about five years ago... nothing fancy nor putting a hole in my pockets that sort of sh*t- just fun, friendly games with my cousins, brother-in-law and sometimes guy friends/ barkada. We play it at the beach, at the porch of our house. I remember we had a poker night birthday celebration because my 25th birthday fell (as it usually does) on a holy week. To be honest, that's the only card game that I can confidently say I have a knack at, and the funny thing is, I only learned to play poker on Facebook. Yep, during those apprenticeship days in my former office's computer and fast internet connection. It was downright addictive, and some of my bosses, were also into it. It was about time that my Mom bought a poker game set, complete with colorful poker chips that came with a neat metallic silver case.


I haven't played poker in a while. In fact, I can't remember the last time I did. But just like riding a bicycle, it already becomes an instinct. There are some important lessons one can learn from poker. Well, at least some that I did learn. One is you should learn to read your opponents. It is one thing to familiarize with the winning combinations, yet more importantly, you should be able to decipher whether your opponents are just bluffing or not. Another more important lesson/skill, I guess, is knowing when to fold. When your instincts tell you to go 'all in' when the odds are at your favor, or just back out of the race when your cards are a bit shady. It is not a sign of cowardice if you do decide to back off, rather it shows that you are using that part of your body called the brain. With much practice and failed attempts, you gain confidence in your decision-making and learn to have the balls to live with that decision. 

Sometimes, it is not about how strong your cards are. It's knowing instinctively when you have a fair shot or not. And whether or not it's worth it in the end.

Fairly applicable in real life, I might say.

I hope what I'm going through for the past four months or so is just as easy and enjoyable as a game of poker. The longer it lingers, the more time we spend with each other, the more things get complicated. I don't know when I will be ready to spill the beans, or to put it bluntly, "lay down my cards." All I know is that this isn't just a little crush anymore. Nor am I just infatuated by her. Because if I am, then I wouldn't be feeling the hurt and the pain that comes along with it. Jealousy leaves a bitter taste in my tongue. And what sucks the most is, she doesn't even know. Or maybe she does? Who really knows. I guess I'm gonna have to find out soon on my own.

So with the cards on hand....... 

The question is: 

To fold or to go all in?






3 comments:

  1. Haven't I commented to this post yet? *scratches head*

    Anyway, I didn't know you play poker! We should really play some time. Although I am not experienced at it, I don't even know how about the chips and how the betting goes. ^___^ So maybe I'll take some lessons first. ^___^

    As for the L-word, it's really difficult to decide. I think that part of crushing/falling in love is my most dreaded part. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Do.. :) I was in fact waiting (?) for you to do so...hehe

    We should play it sometime, even thru fb perhaps? when we both have the time, I guess. It's fun.. tho haven't got to playing it in a while.

    The L-word sucks. I don't wanna be stuck like I'm in high school all over again. Geez..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha your opinion of it isn't very high-school though. :D There's no help for it, our hearts want what our hearts want. :/

    Yes! Let's play poker! Let me know when. :)

    ReplyDelete