Saturday, July 27, 2013

Starting Out

I was in 5th grade when I started to write. Writing has always been a sort of escape for me, an expression of my innermost feelings and desires. Stuff that I dare not tell or share to anyone, I wrote in my journal. It was then that I also learned the "art"of infatuation and crushing on someone (which I think is normal at that age,) so I began to write poetry as well. And as you might have guessed, puppy love and overwhelming feelings of admiration were the common themes.



It all started when we were asked to compose a Haiku (Japanese poem of seventeen syllables, in three lines of five, seven, and five). When my teacher posted my work on our classroom's wall as one of the "best ones" from the class, 'twas then that I discovered that maybe, I had a knack at writing. She (my class adviser) urged me to apply for the school paper, The Icesians, where I became Feature Editor on my graduating year in elementary. I even had an opportunity to attend an Inter-school Press Conference which became my first exposure to the world of Journalism.

Subsequently, I was lucky enough to be part of the The Glassroad during my four years in high school, and The University Digest during my college years. Of course, the screening process in the latter was much more grueling and need I say, nerve-wracking, since you have to compete with many talented aspiring writers from different colleges and courses. Luckily enough, I was hand picked by the staff and even aced the panel interview.

That feeling of seeing my name published in the school paper/ magazine always brought me up to cloud nine. Especially when people whom you do not even know personally approach you and compliment you on an article or a poem you've written, saying that they were touched by it or that they were going through the same feelings as I did.

It was such an elating and heart-warming experience for me, and as I am re-discovering my gift through blogging, I hope I will be able to fill that void that has been long waiting to be complete.



No comments:

Post a Comment