Friday, October 10, 2014

10 Things I Miss About Manila



While waiting for my rendering to finish (been teaching myself the rudiments of Sketchup and it's driving me insane!) I thought I'd blog about the things I miss most about Manila. 

*insert song by Hotdog here*



Here are the top ten things from the top of my head (not in chronological order):



1. Freedom

I don't know about you, but I have always been a sucker for my own independence. It's not that my parents are too strict or anything, it's just that I have gotten used to doing things my way. I miss those nights when I can go home any time I want to... No one is going to be mad when I get home drunk or smelling like a chimney. I could just brush my teeth, remove my shoes, and hit the sack while sometimes still wearing my work clothes. Right now it's different. It's as if I'm back to my 15 year old self... I think my family keeps forgetting how old I really am.







2. 7-Eleven

Yep. That conveniently located convenience store around the corner. Whenever I was too tired or too lazy to cook, I just walk to 7/11 along Harrison Ext. cor Libertad and buy that yummy, affordable roasted chicken they had there. Or when I feel like eating something with soup- the hot pot section, or their hotdogs, or slurpee, or ice cream. Sigh....now all I'm thinking about is food.








3. Access to Mall

Having worked in an office that's situated in a mall complex, well, no wonder I don't have any savings! lol. (Yes, I'd like to put blame on the mall for my financial stupor.) It's my closest thing to "exercising" by walking from our building to the North Terminal every night after work. Plus you get to window shop anytime!









4. National Bookstore

I have always been fascinated by books, school supplies, office supplies, art supplies, you name it. This fascination dates way back during my elementary years when my most anticipated moment was when we'd buy school supplies from the (now defunct) Golden Bell along Sucabon before school started. The sight of pens of all shapes and sizes, the ambience, the smell(?) of new books- definitely my kind of high (Lame, I know. =P)






Dark mocha's my favorite

5. Uber Expensive Coffee

Although I have found one coffee shop in Zamboanga (Witchcraft) that sells (almost) Starbucks-like coffee. By "almost" I mean, the price is almost the same. Still, something about coffee shops in Manila (or anywhere for that matter) gives a nostalgic feeling. I just don't know.







This is how I eat 'em burger and fries!

6. Burger King

Definitely one of my favorite burger shops in Manila. It was my office friends' and mine's go-to place whenever we need to scratch that burger itch. Also, it was where we usually hang out after work (2 E-Com Building.) I specifically love their flame-grilled beef patties with large fries and coffee float. Yummmm...







"Resting"

7. Jogging

Yes, those early morning Saturday runs from my apartment at Galvez St. to the seaside of Mall of Asia. Our usual route was along Edsa, then turn right towards Metro Park then left to cross the scary road to get to the mall complex. There's always a benefit run of some sort whenever we go there. Nice place to unwind, recharge and just enjoy the fresh sea air. (P.S. I make it a point to only bring enough for our jeepney fare which is P8.50 so I won't be tempted to buy those yummy smelling corn cobs from one of their kiosks.)








8. Photo Walks

Metro Manila is a mixture of extremes- from the majestic tall skyscrapers in Makati to the old buildings in Manila which are rich in history and heritage in their own rights. I had a memorable experience during one of our photowalks along Baywalk (Roxas Blvd.), an officemate and I were pranked by the longest running gag show in the Philippines, "Wow Mali." It was hilarious and shocking at the same time, I didn't even sign their waiver to let the video clip show on television. Too bad for them. :P (I am planning to have one here soon.)








9. Milk Tea

Specifically, Winter Melon Milk Tea. I love it! add-ons or none! Although I kept looking for the same taste I was addicted from the one I bought from that small milk tea house in Boracay. Well, there's always Gong Cha, Serenitea, Cha Time, to name a few of the ones I've tried, but to no avail. The search is still on! I have yet to try those milk tea houses in Zamboanga that seem to be sprouting like mushrooms these days (so I've heard.)







More chicken, please!

Awwww......

California Maki Rolls. Superb!

10. Bonchon's Soy Garlic Chicken & Ceasar Salad, Hakaw and Sushi
One of my closest friends in the office, Phoebus, was the one who introduced me to restaurants that serve the yummiest dishes at affordable prices. Come pay day and expect us to have "lunch out" or perhaps dinner to satisfy our cravings. Bonchon was the most accessible to us (their yoghurt ice cream is worth a try, too)... Super Bowl's hakaw is to die for, while Teriyaki Boy's sushi rolls are mouth-watering as well.




Being back in the "province" for sometime now (I hate it when some refer to Zamboanga as a province, anyway....) away from the hustle and bustle of busy streets, pollution, a place where it is the norm to be awake when others are counting sheep, I had the time (lots of them!) to assess and evaluate....


Now that I think about it, my experiences in Manila were not so bad after all. I am grateful for the lessons I learned in my three years plus stay there. It gave me a better understanding of myself and the people around me. The best part was, having met wonderful people whom I shared all these with.



with Phoebus

with office friends at Yakimix, Macapagal

Teriyaki Boy Feast!

Borrrgggooooorrrrrrrr after work!




Photo Credits:
https://www.google.com.ph/searchq=freedom&biw=1366&bih=624&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=
Tdo3VOCSNcnvoASgioL4Ag&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=1vSBOQvLRiAbJM%253A%3Be8pyFGr1tFbWfM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.verussolutions.biz%252Fweb%252Fsites%252Fdefault%252Ffiles%252Ffreedom.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.verussolutions.biz%252Fweb%252Fcontent%252Fmore-free-its-freedom%3B1000%3B625

https://www.google.com.ph/searchq=freedom&biw=1366&bih=624&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Tdo3VOCSNcnvoASgioL4Ag&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=711&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=fDKL5lA3t40RbM%253A%3BRKdWhBp4hLGN6M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi.imgur.com%252FapY8mJR.gif%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.thebuddyforum.com%252Farchives%252F142673-honorbuddy-v2-5-8877-711-a-5.html%3B550%3B550

https://www.google.com.ph/searchq=freedom&biw=1366&bih=624&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Tdo3VOCSNcnvoASgioL4Ag&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=mall+of+asia+interior&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=VXp3ISF3MYYzqM%253A%3BEGV_pi56pSvlkM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmedia-cdn.tripadvisor.com%252Fmedia%252Fphoto-s%252F05%252F85%252Fe9%252Fe4%252Fsm-mall-of-asia.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.tripadvisor.co.uk%252FLocationPhotoDirectLink-g298452-d640361-i92662244-SM_Mall_of_Asia-Pasay_Metro_Manila_Luzon.html%3B550%3B412

No comments:

Post a Comment