Sunday, October 5, 2014

If Not Now..... When?

Source


Making decisions can be hard, especially when your future is at stake. I have now hit a plateau in my career life, though I would like to think otherwise.

Being unemployed for almost two months now, I am now experiencing some of the pros and cons of going free-lance. Yet I know that these are just the tips of the iceberg... there will be many more challenges along the way, and I am confident that I can surpass them all, with God's grace.



For starters, I enjoy the freedom going solo presents me with. I have no boss to answer to, no annoying co-workers who suck the energy out of people... No suck-ups. No memos from HR for consequent tardiness. I am my own boss. I own my own time. I can wake up anytime I want to, and work whenever I feel like it.  I can stay late up till the wee hours of the morning not have to worry about being late for work the next day.Yes, I give myself deadlines, and thankfully, for now at least, I am able to meet them.

Most of all, I am pleased with the way people I work for and with because somehow, I'd like to think that I am gaining their respect. They acknowledge my authority and consider my opinions and suggestions. Though I still need to be more assertive.

Of course, like anything else in the world, there are cons as well. Since I am my own boss, I can only depend on myself. There is no one else to blame in case something goes wrong (I hope not.) Great responsibility is bestowed upon my shoulders, and I have to make sound decisions and be able to live up to them. I WILL be the cause of delay should I fail to deliver on time.

Unlike having a regular 9-5 job, my work hours are now "open time." The number of hours worked do not matter for as long as I meet a target or finish a job. It can be stressful at times. It is a misconception that even though I "own" my time, it's more challenging since I need to discipline myself to get my butt off the bed and face the computer to work. Discipline is the operative word, I guess.

This is just the start of my journey. I am giving myself three months to get my act straight.

Who knows what will happen next month, next year or the coming years? But for now, my goal is to finish what I started. Tita Neneng's house will either make or break me professionally, and I pray to God that He will guide me throughout the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment