Tuesday, January 13, 2015

My Latest Addiction





One of the fondest memories of my childhood was riding a bike. That feeling when the wind touches your face, that rebellious streak you get when riding on cemented roads (even though your Mom told you not to.) That moment you fantasized you were one of the pros when tackling that (tiny) hump or pile of gravel in your backyard, or perhaps the freedom one feels when driving alongside motor vehicles on a busy highway.

I remember when I was about 6 years old, I had this little blue bicycle with three small wheels (a tricycle?) Now as I think about it, I think it was originally one of my older sisters'. Being the youngest in the family, I got to keep their toys after they've grown out of them. I had an extreme aversion to dolls anyway, but the cool ones I got to keep for myself (like Papi, a malnourished brown teddy bear, which was my Tita Neneng's originally.)

Last November, as soon as I got hold of my terminal pay (after waiting for 3 months!), I was decided to relive one of my childhood memories- so I bought myself a mountain bike. :)





Of course, I had to pay up some loans to my parents first so they would not react differently. Well at first they did. But upon realizing that it's better than getting my ass stuck  in front of the computer the whole day, with zero exercise, they gave in eventually. At least, I can burn calories and have fun while doing it.

Here are some pictures I took while I was experimenting with my camera (I only learned how to use Aperture Priority only now?!) :












My bike is very cheap in terms of price, at least compared to those branded ones (entry level bikes could cost around Php 15,000 or more!) I didn't want to buy a very costly one at first because I might just lose interest after how many months of pedaling (it's only my 2nd month!) 

What I splurged on were with some accessories! I was like a kid in a candy store! I found this facebook page of an online seller (TAD Bike Accessories) and their products are reasonably priced, plus their delivery time was fast (1 or 2 days upon payment.) The person I dealt with was also nice and accommodating.  


"FIRST BATCH"




I am planning to place a second batch of orders, though I am trying to control myself from spending too much (I have spent almost 10k for the bike and accessories already- more than the budget I have set.)

Biking, or any form of hobby for that matter, can be quite addicting. I am only a novice yet I think I have already been bitten by the 'Upgradititis' bug (I am researching/scouting for a better second bike =P)

The upside is, at least with this hobby/addiction/obsession- it's healthy, it's fun, and I get to enjoy being with my friends who share the same interests.

Who cares if I'm gonna be 30 on April?! It's never too late to have fun!


With Mie-mie, one of my best pals in high school. And yes, that's Satti from Andy's (Tetuan)! (drools)

With another high school buddy, Bebs, during her Christmas Break (she's now based in Cebu.) 



That's Dur in a Bumble Bee outfit (lol)


2 comments:

  1. I think that's a great investment too. Health and enjoyment at the age of 30? Amazing idea! If only I know how to bike. My idea of health and enjoyment is just tea. Lol. Lousy. Hahaha.
    Your photos look really nice. :) And I miss satti. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're never too old to learn something new, Do! You never know, you might like it... and I think Bukidnon's air and terrain will do wonders! I love tea too, green tea! hehe

    ReplyDelete